by Adam Gutcheon, DTC Chairman
Many of you reading this message have had your political awakening in the past four years, as the malignance of Donald Trump has made plain the stakes of politics. If that’s the case for you, now is the moment your political involvement has been building up to. Now is the time to work like hell. It’s been an exhausting four years, but the next four will be a thousand times more calamitous if we do not succeed.
My own political awakening occurred in 1994, when Republicans won both houses of Congress and Newt Gingrich was elevated to Speaker of the House. Much of what we now take for granted about the Republican approach to power was invented or perfected by Gingrich. Newt flamed out quickly; four years later, he was gone. But his legacy remains to this day. When Joe Biden is sworn in four months from now, the worst will be over (for the moment, anyway). But Trump, too, will leave a malign influence behind him. Others will pick up his playbook.
While we have about five weeks of intensive campaigning ahead of us, the hard work is just beginning. It will take a concerted effort over many years to rebuild our democracy and keep at bay the illiberal forces arrayed against it. Will you join me in that work?
What can you do?
- Join us as we send out texts, either at our headquarters at 181 Broad Street, or from home, to educate folks about how to vote absentee and to help get out the vote. We do this on Wednesdays from 6:30 to 8:30. You can sign up here: https://forms.gle/zndZNab6Xdq7cCjP8
- Walk in our neighborhoods to encourage voting for our state Democratic legislative candidates. Saturdays at 9:45 and Sundays at 10:45, starting from headquarters at 181 Broad Street. Sign up here: https://forms.gle/zndZNab6Xdq7cCjP8
- Make calls to battleground states to urge voting for the Biden/Harris ticket. Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 6:30 to 8:30. Sign up here: https://www.mobilize.us/2020victory/event/326945/
- Make calls to urge voting for Connecticut legislative candidates in swing districts. Mondays and Wednesdays from 6 to 8. Sign up here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSftl9FQrGRfd_5rz02mz0Lhn3fgRPy7OfIYfBElpah5Zn3AGg/viewform
- Help Jane Garibay win re-election to her competitive seat in the state House of Representatives: Click here to sign up to volunteer.
- Help Jack Henrie win the 61st District seat, which is Republican-held but vulnerable this year. Please visit https://www.jackhenrie.com/volunteer to let him know how you’d like to help!
- Help Jane and other vulnerable House Democrats by participating in a fundraiser tomorrow: https://janegaribayforhouse.com/event/windsor-fall-fundraiser-to-benefit-the-ct-house-democratic-caucus/
- Vote! Here is a link to the Town Clerk’s website with very helpful, clear information: https://townofwindsorct.com/townclerk/elections/absentee-ballots/As a reminder, here are a couple of key deadlines: Application for an absentee ballot must be received by the Town Clerk by Monday, November 2 at 5pm. Your absentee ballot must be received by the Town Clerk by 8pm on Tuesday, November 3. You can drop your application as well as your completed ballot into the drop box in the parking lot behind Town Hall.
Attend our DTC Meeting on Thursday, October 1, 7:00 p.m.
The Windsor Democratic Town Committee will meet this Thursday via Zoom. We will hear from our elected officials and candidates, DTC subcommittees, and speakers Umaru Saleh and Marc Bradley. Dr. Saleh is a longtime WDTC member and Marc is chair of CT for Biden. They will discuss what we each can do to make sure Joe Biden is sworn in as the 46th president on January 20th, 2021. Please join us!
Click here to connect to the meeting: https://zoom.us/j/96645189708
Or dial (929) 205-6099 and enter the Meeting ID: 966 4518 9708
Click here to see the agenda.Click here to see this month’s report from our Committee on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
Minutes and treasurer’s report will be forthcoming.
Windsor For Biden/Harris Signs…Going, Going, Gone!
I’m pleased to report our run of lawn signs is selling quickly. We have a few dozen left. To reserve yours, just make a donation of $10 or more at https://daycampaign.com/Donate/WDTC. Someone will contact you to arrange delivery.